Sunday, October 31, 2010

Week 4 Module

1. Explain: What new learning have you taken from this module?

I found the video clip “Contemporary Land Issues Regarding Mauna Kea” very educational. I never take the time to stop and think about the cultural impact that science has on locations around the world. It is easy to overlook the cultural value of land when you want to use it for another purpose. I am very glad to hear that the university decided to set aside land that would not be disturbed.


The video clip “Volcanoes in the Infrared” was very fascinating for me to watch. I had no idea scientists were currently using this technology on volcanoes. I am often so busy I do not read up on how scientists are using technology today. I think showing students technology helps spark their interest in class


2. Extend: How can/will you use this week’s resources and/or others in your community in your lessons?

The video clip “Living on the Coast” is amazing! This video will be perfect for cultural awareness standards. My students can relate to the three cultures shown because they also live on the water, and depend on it for food. I love anything that students can relate to, and they take away so much from it. Another great connection with their video is the fact that I grew up in Massachusetts. I will be able to talk about my own experience, and what I saw when I visited New Bedford.

The video clip “1964 Alaska Earthquake” is great for my students because they can relate to it. They really enjoy watching and reading about anything that happens here in Alaska. My students can also relate well to the portion of the video that shows the tsunami. Living on the water it is so important for them to be aware of the danger of a tsunami. 


3. Evaluate: How useful, insightful or relevant are this module’s information and resources for you?

The resources on tsunamis are very useful to me because I teach about them in two different levels of science. In one on my classes I taught about tsunamis about a month ago. I wish I had these video clips then. Three of my students where having a very hard time understanding the concept of a tsunami. I love having any resource that can show concepts visually. I have found that a picture, or video clip, is worth a thousand words.

The measuring tool on Google Earth is very useful to me. From the standpoint of teaching, but also in my own life. I have often wondered how far teacher housing is from the school. I have heard some estimates, but never knew an accurate measurement. Sometimes I am taken back by how easy things are with modern technology. With two clicks of a mouse I can measure distance anywhere around the world. That is just crazy. 
Image taken from Google Earth


3 Colleagues

The first site I went to was “Dan Adair Blog Site”. I thought it was wonderful that he posted “The Electromagnetic Spectrum Song”. I used this song with my students last year and would have never guessed other teachers used it.

The second site I went to was “Doug’s Explore Alaska Blog”. I really like how he talked about this lesson being a reminder of the power of the tectonic plates. So many things are changed, created and destroyed by their movement. It is easy for me to forget how much energy they have because I don’t see their effect first hand very often.

I agree with Tracy about how important it is to teach our students about what to do in an emergency. On her blog “Explore Alaska” she gives some examples of different lessons that would help students if they were in an emergency situation. 

2 comments:

  1. I was also struck with the issues on Mauna Kea. I have been to the telescopes there, and the astronomers never mentioned the controversy over the land use. This is something that needs to be publicized more and would be a great addition to the tour groups (at least in my humble opinion!).

    The ruler tool is cool.....what did we do before GPS? A great way to put things in a global and local perspective for students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    I spent a lot of time measuring things with Google Earth too. That is the coolest tool.
    The shifting crust over the hot spot that made the Hawaiian range is pretty impressive to understand. It draws a picture on the ocean floor that tells the story beautifully.
    David

    ReplyDelete