Saturday, October 23, 2010

Week 3 Module

1. Explain: What new learning have you taken from this module?

Image taken from "On the Yukon River"
The most fascinating thing I learned from this module was from the video “On the Yukon River”. I had no that in central Yup’ik the word for fish is the same as food. I have not had much exposure to central Yup’ik so I unaware of how important fish are to them. This really shows how important it is that the fish population is kept healthy and safe.


2. Extend: How can/will you use this week’s resources and/or others in your community in your lessons?

The “Richard Glenn: Inupiaq Geologist” clip is amazing for many reasons.  First, it is a wonderful example to share with my students. Many of them want to leave the island for college, however, the want to return when they are done. I see the conflict in them whenever we talk about what they will do after high school. Should I go away to college, or should I keep my traditional ways? Richard Glenn does both of these things. He earned a college degree and is still able to take part in his culture. This will show my students a real person who did both.

Second, this clip also covers ‘career skills’ standards for my students. Here is a scientist who is making money, making a difference for his people, and enjoying his job. This career choice is realistic for my students.

Third, I love the quote he ends with when discussing western and Inupiaq approaches: “Is there a conflict there? I don't think so. I think they are just two flashlights shining down the same path.” Another wonderful example of how western science and traditional knowledge can work together, and are both valued. The more my students hear this, the better!


3. Evaluate: How useful, insightful or relevant are this module’s information and resources for you?

I think the “Teachers’ Domain” video clips are wonderful for my students. My earth science class started plate tectonics last week. I showed them “Plate Tectonics: An Introduction” and “Tectonic Plate Movement in Alaska”. Both videos gave wonderful visuals for my students and I believe seeing the clips helped them understand the concepts. One of my students asked me to see “Tectonic Plate Movement in Alaska” for a second time.  




3 Colleagues

The pictures on the site “Cultural Connections in Earth Science” are beautiful. I really enjoyed seeing them. It is always nice to be reminded of the amazing colors and landscapes that are out there. Janet also commented on the fact that the central Yup’ik work for food and fish are the same. She stated she likes Teachers’ Domain and wishes she had know about it before. I completely agree with this and I have shared the site with staff at my school. It is a wealth of resources!

On the “chenalakesfarm” site Tracy mentions an idea for a project where the students create a circular sequence map. I think this is an amazing idea and I will use it in my life science class. I am always looking for ideas to connect my student’s lives and science. This could be a great poster project to create and hang up in the class. 

The third site I choose to visit this week was “Explore Alaska!: Alaska Native & Western Perspective”.  In his entry Dave writes about taking his class out to explore the landscape and different types of rocks. I also really enjoy taking the students out and see the natural examples all around us. 

2 comments:

  1. On the flashlight analogy, I agree and it's good for the kids to hear it. There is always more than one way to tackle a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Richard Glenn is a model for our students see. I also see the conflict within the students about whether or not to leave the village and traditional way of life. I will also use his video to help my students see it is possible to combine both lives.

    ReplyDelete