Sunday, November 14, 2010

week 6 Module

1. Explain: What new learning have you taken from this module?

Image from Contaminants in the Arctic Food Chain
I found the video clip “Contaminants in the Arctic Food Chain” very fascinating. I had no idea that the arctic was more affected by mercury and PCBs than other parts of the world. From everything you hear about preservatives, and other chemicals that are added to store bought meat you would think that eating from the ocean would be the best way to go. How unfortunate it is that people who are living off the land have their food contaminated through no fault of their own. 

The video clip “Arctic Haze” was very interesting to watch.  One key thing I really noticed about the clip was when the bush pilot Dennis Miller was talking about what he saw. He had been flying in the area for 15 years and he noted how it has become more dense and frequent. In just 15 years he was able to notice the difference with the naked eye. That is a scary thought. What will it be like in another 15 years?


2. Extend: How can/will you use this week’s resources and/or others in your community in your lessons?

The YouTube clip “Reveal Earth’s Atmosphere” will make a great anticipatory set when we do the atmosphere in Earth science. I love showing my students clips like this because it gets them excited for what we are about to learn. I thought surfing on the air was a great way of showing a real life example of science. It was also something my students will want to do, and hopefully, that will spark their curiosity about the atmosphere.

I will show the video clip “Ocean Temperatures and Climate Patters” in my Earth Science class when we study climate patterns. It is so important for students to understand that climate is not self-contained. This video clip shows how the Earth works together as a systems, not many independent systems.

“Giving Rise to the Jet Stream” will be a great interactive activity for my students. It is nice to have something for them to do on the computers. I will use this with them when we have the computers out for a project or writing assignment. Unfortunately, the high school only has one set of computers. So when I check them out I want to use the computers for a whole class period.


3. Evaluate: How useful, insightful or relevant are this module’s information and resources for you?

Image from Google Earth
I really enjoyed using the “Weather Layer” in Google Earth. I think this layer helps give a more accurate image of the Earth. When we use Google Earth we see the Earth without any clouds. This is not what Earth really looks like from space. I think it is very valuable for students to see this layer, and explore what the clouds look like from space and see how they change. It would be a fun and interactive activity for my students to look at this layer for a few minutes each day and see how it changes. They could even put together screen shots to compare each day. 





3 Colleagues

On her page “Cultural Connections in Earth Science” Janet mentioned a layer on Google Earth that shows shots from webcams. I had not notice this layer. I am sure I will be able to use it when we study weather in my Earth science class.

I really enjoyed reading Alison’s blog “Explore Alaska with Alison”. She makes some great points about how it bothers her that there is so much pollution, but that doesn’t stop her from making it. I completely agree with this. I live on an island and I have to fly very often. Flying is not the most environmentally friendly thing, but I still do it. Unfortunately, that is only one of many examples.

On his blog “Let’s Explore Alaska and get Connected!” Kevin mentioned a study that looked at ice cores to study metal deposits. I find it so fascinating how you can associate events in history with the amount of pollution that humans are releasing. It only makes sense that during the depression there was less pollution. 

1 comment:

  1. Tyler says

    I also thought the video clip on Arctic haze was interesting. I noticed it when I lived in Fairbanks, but didn't know what it was..

    ReplyDelete